The Simulation in Nursing Education – Fundamentals Scenarios is a set of 10 scenarios designed for nursing students in a Fundamentals of Nursing or equivalent introductory course.
The scenarios address learning objectives that focus on fundamental nursing care concepts and encourage the participants to assess and manage the patient, identify and prioritize basic patient problems, and perform key interventions for safe and effective patient care.
For ease of use, and to help facilitate the integration of the scenarios into nursing programs, the scenarios include features such as:
- A list of the 2016 NCLEX-RN Test Plan Categories that are being addressed in the scenario
- Pre-simulation requirements and recommended resources for students to review
- A role information sheet for the student playing the role of the support person (when a support person is designated in the simulation)
- Guided reflection questions mapped to the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies
- Case considerations to guide faculty on the knowledge essentials for each simulation scenario to enhance debriefing and student learning
- A patient chart with appropriate documentation and order forms to help enhance realism
Together the scenarios and the Laerdal simulator allow students to practice a broad range of nursing skills, and offer faculty the ability to provide realistic and challenging scenario-based simulations to help students build competence and confidence.
The Simulation in Nursing Education – Fundamentals Scenarios can be used alone or together with vSim® for Nursing Fundamentals (purchased separately). Used together the products form a blended learning program that includes scenarios for human patient simulators, virtual simulations and online curriculum materials such as reading assignments, pre- and post-simulation quizzes, documentation assignments, and guided reflection questions.
When using the complete solution, the program enables students to develop critical thinking and clinical decision-making skills by a step-by-step process in which they start out by building and testing their knowledge with reading assignments and pre-simulation quizzes. Advancing to next step, the students can use virtual simulations to train their ability to integrate knowledge about the various topics that are needed when caring for a patient. This experience will help students to develop critical thinking and clinical decision-making skills.
Later, they can meet the same patient in a simulation with a human patient simulator, which will include the complexity of having to perform procedures and communicate with patient, family, and health care team members. Experiencing the same patient encounter through different technologies will help to reinforce theoretical knowledge and gradually build confidence and competence. Finally, post-simulation quizzes, guided reflection questions, and documentation assignments complete the learning experience.
For additional information about vSim® for Nursing Fundamentals, click here.